Tuesday, 27 December 2011


So my current work(s) in progress............and as a true quilter, I have more than one project on the go!

I haven't been very productive for a long time, usually getting bogged down in making display quilts to show off new fabrics that I have in stock. In fact it wasn't until I was featured in British Patchwork & Quilting's 'Meet a Quilter' article that I realised how long it has been since I made a 'proper' quilt! The last show quality quilt I made was in 2003!

Now that I have got my life back together, I think it is time to redress that.

I have two main projects that I am working on just now. The first is a quilt I must have started more than 10 years ago. Its not often that you go back to a quilt which you have been working on for such a long time, but I guess I have decided to finish this quilt because it is one that *should* be finished. I started it originally as an entry for the New Quilts from Old Favourites contest run by the National Quilt Museum in Paducah in America. I had been to America for the first time in 1998 when Quilt Market was in St. Louis and we stayed on afterwards so that we could visit the AQS show in Paducah. The theme for the following year was the kaleidoscope block and that was my starting point. I am also a fan of Paula Nadelstern's kaleidoscope quilts so my quilt is a combination of these themes - a large kaleidoscope with background fabrics which I hope when viewed from a distance will suggest the original block design. I hand dyed the background fabrics in two tones from the same colour story. From memory the fabric was a cotton lawn type fabric bought from Whaleys of Bradford.

This is the centre of the quilt:

I finally finished the quilt top a few weeks ago. I think the reason I had come to a halt on the quilt was because I was worried about running out of a couple of fabrics in the border. I managed to work around it and so the artist's block was lifted!
I am using Hobbs wool wadding and the backing is a lilac Hoffman batik #1895. I started the quilting a week ago using King Tut colour 918, Joseph's Coat. It will be a slow process though.

The second main project I am working on is a Sylvia's Bridal Sampler quilt. I am making it in peaches, pinks, lilacs and purple batiks. It's kind of a family thing as my mother and sister are making the quilt as well. My son was having a go too but has since lost interest..............so  I am making two quilts now!
I want to try and make an image showing all the blocks I have done so far so will post this shortly.
At the moment I am working on block C4 and will post a picture of this as soon as it is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment