Saturday 13 February 2016

Potatoes!

This weekend my allotment association is holding it's potato weekend. The association don't bring in many varieties but the prices are very good so I don't mind. One day I'd like to go to a bigger potato day or something like Seedy Sunday in Brighton where I can maybe try some different types. 

This year I have stuck with what I know. First early - Rocket
Second early - Charlotte 
And two main crops Desiree and Cara



I'm trying Cara for the first time as a neighbouring plot holder has said it always does well in our soil. I usually grow Picasso which is similar but last year's crop wasn't the best; lots of scabs 

He has also given me four Swift tubers to try as he was really pleased with his last year

I also bought some Sturon onion sets and Pink Pikant shallots


Not bad for about £7!

It's always a bit chaotic in the allotment shed shop. It's a dark lock up garage but it's packed to the rafters and the prices are ridiculously low compared to shop prices.


We are lucky to have it 

I put the tubers in egg boxes straight away so they could start chitting. Didn't take long for one of the cats to guard them for me....


Joanna 

No comments:

Post a Comment