Sunday 9 December 2012

Free Motion Project Quiltalong


So here it is! My first attempt at free motion quilting.
DSC01270
I am following the Free Motion Quilting Project Quiltalong, just to give me some tips and guidance. This was created by Leah Day who originally started her blog to design a different type of free motion filler quilting for every day of the year; the Free Motion Quilting Project.
You can visit her blog
here. It’s such a useful tool!
I've watched the first couple of videos and am running a little before I can walk by combining the two at the same time.....

As I started, it was a bit jagged and my stitches very short as I had trouble moving the quilt sandwich around. Started to wish I had waited and bought some grippy gloves or something. I was having problems even doing the simple 'U' shapes......
DSC01271
It all looks rather amateurish doesn't it? But hey everyone has to start somewhere!
The next image is of me jumping ahead a bit adding a few extra wiggles before I was any good at doing the basic U's.
DSC01272
I reached the bottom of my ‘quilt’ at this point. So started again at the top practising some simple U’s which were a bit better this time.
DSC01273
This last picture shows me being a bit more adventurous again before I was ready, but I think I can already see some progress!
DSC01274
I was able to move the quilt around a lot better at this stage too. I’ve put my little 1” x 6” ruler in the images so you can see the scale of  the quilting.
I have taken a break as I finished stitching the fabric square I had sandwiched together and thought I would do a quick blog post before going to get some more calico.
I’ve kept my pieces quite small not only to keep them manageable but also because I am using up some wadding scraps. The wadding is Hobbs Polydown which is a 2oz wadding. I will also play around with some thinner wadding like Hobbs 80/20.

The main thing, as Leah says, is to practice as practice makes perfect!



No comments:

Post a Comment